Marquette Harbor Light

1853

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO
(1866 lighthouse)
Library of Congress
(1866 lighthouse, taken 1905)
USCG PHOTO
(1906 lighthouse)

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The first lighthouse was already in extremely poor condition when its reconstruction was approved by Congress in 1866.  The 1906 reconstruction changed only the light keeper's quarters by adding a second story.

LOCATION: On N point of harbor, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1866

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Dressed stone / timber

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square intergral

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White --- 30 ft. tall

ORIGINAL LENS: Sixth Order, Fresnel (1858 Light List) --- Fourth Order, Fresnel (1893 Light List)

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Marquette Harbor Lighthouse is an active coast Guard Station and is best viewed from a harbor cruise which takes in all 3 Marquette area lights.  For information on Marquette Harbor Cruises, call (906) 225-1777.