Mendota (Bete Grise) Light

1870

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

Library of Congress PHOTO 1
Library of Congress PHOTO 2

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

As soon as the lighthouse was completed the federal government decommissioned it, claiming that the improvements were of “no use to navigators as a coastal light.” 
The lens was moved to the Marquette Breakwater Light at the end of 1870, and the buildings sat empty for 20 years and succummed to damage from the fierce Lake Superior storms. 
When the canal was deemed suitable enough for the needs of shipping lumber from the area,
Congress again provided funds for a lighthouse which was completed in 1895.

LOCATION: South side of entrance to Lac La Belle (Mendota Ship Channel), Bete Grise Bay, Keweenaw Peninsula, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1895

CURRENT USE: Private aid to navigation
(reactivated 5 July 1998 at 9:45pm)

AUTOMATED: 1933

DEACTIVATED: 1871 - 1895 and 1960 - 1998

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: 1870 - Wood / 1895 - Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square attached

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: 1870 - white / 1895 - Red (as listed in Scott's New Coast Pilot, 1909)

ORIGINAL LENS: 1870 - Unknown / 1985 - Fourth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This light is now a private residence and is listed in the 2000 USCG Light List as a private aid to navigation (navigational aid #15151).