Ontonagon Light

1852

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS
USCG PHOTO
(photo after 1939 when USCG took over maintianing aids to navigation)

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This was the fifth lighthouse constructed on Lake Superior.  Its predecessors  include Whitefish Point (1848), Copper Harbor (1849), Manitou Island (1849), and Eagle Harbor (1851).

LOCATION: Mouth of Ontonagon River, W side of Keweenaw Peninsula, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1866

CURRENT USE: Property is managed by the Coast Guard Auxiliary and has been used for their meetings and those of the Ontonagon County Historical Society since 1969

AUTOMATED: Unknown

DEACTIVATED: 1964

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Attached square --- 31ft. tall (1858 Light List) / 39 ft. tall (1893 Light List)

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White (1858 Light List) / Yellow with black lantern (1893 Light List)

ORIGINAL LENS: Winslow Lewis lamps / Fifth Order, Fresnel 1857

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The lighthouse keeper could reach the lantern room from the first or second floor.