Point Iroquois Light

1855

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light was needed to mark the area close to Point Iroquois (which had sandy shores on the American side and rocky reefs on the Canadian side) when the St. Mary's Falls Ship Canal opened.

LOCATION: Mouth of St. Marys River, above locks, Sault Ste. Marie, SE end of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1871

CURRENT USE: Now part of Hiawatha National Forest and is managed by the U.S. Forest Service

AUTOMATED: Yes

DEACTIVATED: 1962 --- replaced by the Gros Cap Reef Light in the Canadian Channel

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Unknown

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Conical attached --- 45 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Gray

ORIGINAL LENS: Sixth Order, Fresnel (1858 Light List) / Fourth Order, Fresnel 1870

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The lighthouse has been renovated thanks to the efforts of the Bay Mills/Brimley Historical Research Society and the U.S. Forest Service.  The museum and gift shop are open from Memorial Day through October 15.  For the hours of operation or more information, call:  (906) 437 - 5272.