Portage Lake Ship-Canal Light

1874

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG Photo 1
(Pier Light & rebuilt Land Light)
USCG Photo 2
(Back view of rebuilt Land Light)
USCG Photo 3
(Side view of rebuilt Land Light)
National Archives Photo
(reconstruction of lower entry light
on pier in 1919)

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

At some point, this light was not needed with all the pier and revetment lights on
what's now called the Keweenaw Waterway.

LOCATION: On West bank at entrance to Portage Lake Ship-Canal, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: Not sure --- by the 1944 Light List it was a white skeleton tower on pier

CURRENT USE: No longer in use --- land light was torn down in 1935 when canal was widened

AUTOMATED: Yes, probably 1937 when 400,000 candlepower Electric Reflector was installed

DEACTIVATED: Yes --- date is unknown, but it's not in the 1954 Light List

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square attached --- 33 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Red

ORIGINAL LENS: Three and One-Half Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Original attached keeper's dwelling was single story, but was a two-story when it was rebuilt.