Portage River (Jacobsville) Light

1856

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light was built to mark the water route connecting Lake Superior to the Heart of Copper country, the cities of Houghton and Hancock.

LOCATION: South shore of entrance to Portage River, Keweenaw Peninsula, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1870

CURRENT USE: No longer in use

AUTOMATED: Unknown

DEACTIVATED: 1900 --- it's now a private residence

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Stone

TOWER SHAPE: Conical attached --- 45 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fifth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This is the newest B&B on Lake Superior --- the other two are Big Bay & Sand Hills.
For information on staying overnight at this B&B contact innkeepers, Mike & Cheri Ditty at: 
Jacobsville Lighthouse Inn, 38741 Jacobs Street, Lake Linden, MI 49945

(906) 523-4137 or visit the website at:  www.jacobsvillelighthouse.com
By clicking on the above link you will be leaving the Lighthouses of Michigan web site, and as such, we cannot be held responsible for any information found on these pages.