Presque Isle Harbor Breakwater Light

1941

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

No USCG photo available

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The breakwater was constructed at Presque Isle Harbor in 1896 when the first iron ore dock was built by the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad.  The present stone breakwater was built in 1926 and was 1,000 feet long.  It was extended to 2,600 feet in 1935.  Then the light was built to mark the end of the breakwater which is extremely dangerous in rough weather.

LOCATION: 60 feet from outer end of breakwater, Marquette Harbor, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1941

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Crib

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Steel

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical tower on octagonal building

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White --- 40 ft. tall

ORIGINAL LENS: 375 mm lens

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Presque Isle is a very beautiful peninsula attached to the mainland at Marquette.  Huge ore boats are still loaded here at the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad Ore Dock.