Rock Harbor Light

1855

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HABS Sketches

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light was built to mark the rock-strewn Middle Island Passage so that ships could supply the copper mining companies on Isle Royale.

LOCATION: West side of Rock Harbor, Middle Island Passage, mid-Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1855

CURRENT USE: Restored and used as a museum by the U.S. Park Service

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1859 - 1874 and 1879 --- replaced by the Menagerie Island (Isle Royale) Light

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Stone

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick / Stone

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical attached --- 50 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Stone with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This light is part of Isle Royale National Park. 
For more information contact:  Isle Royale National Park, 87 N. Ripley St., Houghton, MI  49931  906-482-0984