Sand Hills Light

1919

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGA

This light was dubbed the "Castle of the Keweenaw" by locals and has also been called 5 Mile Point Lighthouse.

LOCATION: On Five Mile Point, N shore of Keweenaw Peninsula, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1919

CURRENT USE: Currently a Bed and Breakfast

AUTOMATED: 1939

DEACTIVATED: 1954

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square integral --- 90 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Yellow with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1919

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: There was only 1 light keeper, William R. Bennetts, who manned the station for 20 years.  This light had a twin, Alaska's Scotch Cap Light, until a tsunami destroyed the Alaskan light in 1946.

For information on staying overnight at this B&B contact Bill Frabotta, owner and keeper, at: 
Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn, Five Mile Point Road, P.O. Box 298, Ahmeek, MI 49901
(906) 337-1744 or visit the website at:
 
www.sandhillslighthouseinn.com
By clicking on the above link you will be leaving the Lighthouses of Michigan web site, and as such, we cannot be held responsible for any information found on these pages.